Somatic Experiencing (SE) is a therapeutic approach developed by Dr. Peter A. Levine, a psychologist and trauma expert. It is a body-centered therapy that focuses on helping individuals heal from trauma and stress-related disorders by paying attention to the physical sensations and experiences that accompany emotional and psychological distress.
The central premise of Somatic Experiencing is that traumatic experiences can become “stuck” in the body, leading to a range of symptoms such as anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and physical pain. Through SE, individuals learn to release the unresolved energy and tension associated with trauma, allowing the nervous system to reset and return to a state of balance.
Key principles of Somatic Experiencing include:
- Pendulation: SE emphasizes the concept of “pendulation,” where the therapist helps the individual move between the sensations of distress and the sensations of safety and calm. This process helps regulate the nervous system and prevent overwhelm during trauma processing.
- Titration: Somatic Experiencing encourages gradual and gentle exploration of traumatic material, known as “titration.” This approach ensures that the individual is not retraumatized by overwhelming experiences but can gradually build resilience and capacity for processing trauma.
- Tracking Sensations: The therapist guides the individual to notice bodily sensations and responses related to traumatic memories or stressors. By tracking and staying present with these bodily sensations, the person can begin to release pent-up energy and emotions.
- Resourcing: Somatic Experiencing places significant importance on “resourcing,” which involves helping the individual connect with inner and external resources that provide a sense of safety and support. This helps build a foundation of resilience for trauma healing.
Somatic Experiencing can be beneficial for a wide range of trauma-related conditions, including but not limited to:
– Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
– Childhood trauma and abuse
– Accident or injury traumas
– Natural disasters
– Chronic stress and anxiety
It’s important to note that Somatic Experiencing is typically conducted in a one-on-one therapeutic setting with a trained and certified Somatic Experiencing practitioner. The therapist provides a safe and supportive space for the individual to explore and process their traumatic experiences while focusing on bodily sensations and self-regulation.
As with any therapeutic approach, individual experiences with Somatic Experiencing may vary, and the effectiveness of the therapy can depend on the specific needs and circumstances of the person seeking treatment.
Revitalize Ketamine Clinic is proud to offer integration therapy in the form of Somatic Experiencing Therapy in-house with Geoffrey Bishop. Call or text today to find out more and book at 928-248-8082.